An image of a predator with luminous eyes staring back at you, with large paws to hunt for it’s prey- this is the glorious and mighty tiger.
Tigers are the largest cat in the wilderness and are about to extinct like dinosaurs in few years. Here are some of the astonishing facts about this mighty animal.
- Tigers have life span of 15 years.
- Male tiger weight vary from 90 to 306 kg.
- Female tiger weight vary from 65 to 167 kg.
- Male tiger length vary from 250 to 390 cm.
- Female tiger length vary from 200 to 275 cm.
- Amur (breed) tiger species are up to 3m long.
- Tigers can habitat themselves in forest, woodlands, grasslands and swamps.
- Tigers give birth to 2 to 3 cubs every 3 years.
- Cubs are independent at the age of 2 and sexually active by the age of 3 or 4.
- Tigers can consume 39 kgs of meat in a single meal.
- Tigers hunt alone by slowly, swiftly and stalking its pray.
- Tigers hunting pattern is more based on sight and sound rather than on smell.
- Tiger killing is illegal worldwide, yet it’s practised.
- Tigers body parts are framed in countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos and China.
- If killing of this magnificent species continues, then they would extinct within the next 20 years.
- The illegal wildlife trade recorded every year is up to £14 billion.
- Species like Caspian, Javan and Balinese have already extinct.
How many tigers are left in the world?
In last century, there were 100,000 tigers but with the vast growth in the human population, deforestation, lost in habitat and lack of pray, we are now only left with 3500 surviving tigers worldwide.
- India – 2226
- Nepal – 198
- Bhutan – 103
- Bangladesh – 106
- Laos – 2
- Thailand – 189
- Cambodia – 0
- Malaysia – 250
- Indonesia – 371
- China – 7
- Russia – 433
Why Save Tigers?
Is that even a question, haven’t we done enough damage already.
“If nature has made anything more beautiful than a tiger then I do not know what it might be.”
Let’s take a pause and think for a second- we as tigers and tigers as humans. We being locked in the zoos for others to watch us and click pictures. Similarly, we being hunted in the wild and our skin or head being hung on someone’s walls as a trophy. How does it make you feel?
- Tigers are pinnacle predators and shape the ecosystem they live in.
- By hunting herbivorous animals, they prevent the grounds from overgrazing and maintain the ecological integrity.
- Tigers are solitary and are the ruler of the vast lands, in which they allow other species to flourish and patrol every 2 to 3 weeks.
- 350 rivers originate from the tiger reserves in India. Carbon is absorbed by this reserves and oxygen is released which helps in slowly regulating the water level and avoid floods.
- Herbivorous hunting avoids overgrazing and prevents soil erosion.
- Saving the existing habitats and reforesting the tainted habitat would help the communities in Asia that are affected by floods and would lead to global benefits.
- Saving tigers would also help in increase in tourism.
Humans are solely accountable for the slaughter of tigers across the globe. In a real world, tigers only predators are- humans. We have built our colonies, so let’s stop invading theirs by killing. Save tiger in the wilderness.
Donate : http://savetigersnow.org/